Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands... 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

30 Days to a Simpler Life Challenge


30 Days to a Simpler Life by Connie Cox and Cris Evatt

There are multiple challenges out there like the Neil Armstrong Approach by 365 Less Things and the 10 Things Challenge by Simple. Organized. Life.. Of course, there is the 100 Things Challenge which has been followed by people having less and less things- some people having less than 50. That challenge has caused a lot of drama about the blogosphere.

I personally can't get anywhere close to having less than 100 things. I have over 200 books just on the tiny bookshelf in my bedroom. I could give away one thing a day or 10 things a week, but I decided to try a new approach that will involve more than just giving X number of things away in a certain time frame.

Tomorrow I'll start Day One. Today I read the intro chapters- "Before You Begin" and "Simplifying Your Life Day by Day".

"On your journey, you will let go of things that are stressful, distracting, and uncomfortable. You will keep what brings joy, contentment, and a sense of well being. Simplicity is about achieving a higher level of comfort. Simplicity is about eliminating the excess so you will be free to discover who you really are."

This resonated more with me, because it specifies what I will keep. I don't want to keep everything, but neither do I want to give it all away. I just want to eliminate the excess and pare down my possessions to what I love and need.

In the intro chapters, the authors identify several benefits of simplifying, most of which you surely know:
* Saving time
* Saving money
* Encouraging creativity
* Organization
* Better for the environment
* Peace of mind
* Allowing you to focus on what is important

They coin "The Five Types of Simplifiers-Serene, Comfort-Seeking, Downshifted, Elegant, and Organized Simplifiers". I definitely identified most with the Comfort-Seeking and Downshifted. I do identify a bit with the Serene, but I love color and I don't mind decor. I don't want a sparse cold space. I prefer a warm inviting environment. I love red, blues, pinks, and earth tones. I'm not a partier and don't socialize much. I am much more of a homebody. While I don't like a lot of noise, I do like to be surrounded by family and those noises are happy.

I mostly want a comfortable, happy space, that is more environmentally friendly. I like the simpler things like walking to the corner store for a snack or drink. Lying on a blanket outside reading a book while the kids play.

I've been purging for over a month at least. I have boxes and bags of stuff in the garage that my husband is convinced he can sell in a garage sale. Today I went through my socks, shorts, and bedroom dresser tops to create a pile. Tomorrow I start Day One, which is to fill up a bag of stuff. I already have a nice bit to put in and am sure I'll come up with more tonight. The hardest item was a large glass paperweight thingie with glass fish in it. My son gave it to me for a holiday when we lived in Miami. I know he wouldn't care now, but the little boy who gave it to me would be devastated if he were to see it in the give-away pile.

I am really wresting with some personal stuff - uncertainty about the future- which is making it hard to know what I should get rid of. I think I will probably simplify for the life I am leading today and store what I can't imagine giving away (due to future possible change) in the attic. Once those issues are resolved, I will know whether to get rid or keep those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio